Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cardiovascular-protective
Nutritional Supplement Features:
- Solgar Beetroot Extract is a rich source of antioxidants as well as good levels of many nutrients, including folic acid, vitamin B6, fibre, manganese, potassium, vitamin C and iron.
- Research studies have demonstrated that beetroots are a uniquely rich source of phytonutrient pigments collectively known as betalains. Betalains are nitrogen-containing, water-soluble plant pigments which exert a wide range of desirable biological activities, including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cardiovascular-protective properties.
- Betalains are responsible for the characteristic colour of beetroots, whether they be the yellow variety or the more common crimson-red type.
- Recent studies on beetroot’s role in cardiovascular health has cited nitrate as the key component responsible for these benefits. Researchers found that nitrate from beetroot increased levels of nitric oxide within the body. Nitric oxide signals the smooth muscle fibres to relax, which increases blood flow, subsequently improving circulation and reducing blood pressure.
- Beetroots also contain various carotenoids, iron, potassium, fibre, vitamin c, folic acid and betaine. Betaine (also known as TMG) has been shown to reduce the blood concentration of homocysteine, a substance linked to heart disease.